The Internet is packed with questionable or harmful stuff and it is too easy accessible when kids search for something via Google. That is why parents should pay attention to the online activities of their children and get the best out of the Internet:
- Get involved. It is essential to get acquainted with the online activities of the kids: surf the Internet together with your child to be sure that she won’t browse something inappropriate. When kids grow older, there won’t be a need to sit with them when they browse something, however, it is necessary to stay somewhere nearby to check them.
- Develop house rules concerning using the Internet and stick to it. For example, you can write a list of rules and place it near the computer and make sure that the kid knows them. Select the amount of time available for browsing and a list of websites that are appropriate to visit without special permission. Any other site should be approved by the parents.
- Explain the necessity of keeping private information private. For example, you should teach kids to never give their name, phone number or address without your permission or never meet in person people they met online unless one of the parents will go with them.
- Place the PC that is hiked up to the Internet at the common place where you will be able to see all actions of kids online.
- Kids should know that you are always ready to help them when something on the Internet goes wrong.
- Look through the parental controls provided by the Internet service provider and apply them to the settings of your Internet connection. Also check the browser settings as it also usually proposes some parental control features.
- Google also proposes a set of parental control features that you can switch on and secure the children from the inappropriate content.
- Look though the list of kids-friendly sites and stick to it
- Take an advantage of parental control apps that perform online monitoring and management of any online activity. With their help you will be able to block unwanted sites, monitor the social media, emails and IM chats, limit the time of the Internet usage and perform many other actions.